Poultry and Eggs

Just over 800 poultry producers hold quota throughout the province producing upwards of 3 million kilograms per year. The majority are located in the Montérégie, Lanaudière, and Chaudière-Appalaches regions with an average flock size of 245,000 birds.

Four abattoirs (owned by Olymel and Exceldor) control 90 per cent of poultry slaughter in the province including 100 per cent of turkey slaughter. The remaining 10 per cent of broiler slaughter is done at 50 small sized abattoirs.

For a more detailed analysis of the state of the poultry industry visit the provincial government website.

There are 62 commercial egg operations in the province, producing upwards of 2 million kilograms per year.